... for the cake
100g Plain flour
20g cocoa powder
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of salt
120ml whole milk
1/4 teaspoons of vanilla extract
... for the icing
300g icing sugar, sifted
100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
40g cocoa powder, sifted
40ml whole milk
2 chocolate digestive biscuits
mini marshmallows for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 170 C (325 F) Gas 3.
2. Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on a slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and ever thing is combined.
4. Turn the mixer down to a slower speed and slowly pour in the remaining milk mixture (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Continue mixing for a couple more minuets until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
5. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minuets, or until the sponge bounces back when touched.
6. While the cupcakes are in the oven, make the icing. Beat the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment on a medium speed. Mix until the ingredients are well combined. Turn the mixer down to a slow speed.
7. Briefly break up the 2 digestive biscuits into a pestle and mortar. Keep crushing until the biscuits and mostly crumbs with the odd chunk.
8. Add the milk to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time. Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to a high speed. Continue beating the frosting until light and fluffy (approx. 5 minutes).
9. Remove the cupcakes from the oven once cooked. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
10. When cupcakes are completely cool, frost them with the icing. Decorate them with whatever you like, but to complete the S'more cupcake, top them with mini marshmallows.
I LOVE these cupcakes! They are so delicious, I especially like the crunch you get from the digestive biscuits in the icing! I hope you like them as well, let me know in the comments below!